The Department of Music at the Obafemi Awolowo University is committed to the integration of student learning and development by creating transformative learning opportunities that enrich the lives of our students. The Department strives to promote excellence and encourage student success by engaging students in the life of the University community. The Department provides accessible programmes and services that support the diverse needs of our student body, fosters active learning and contributes to their personal and academic development. We are dedicated to the social, physical, cultural and intellectual growth of students in preparation for life in a global society. We establish programmes, services and traditions that empower and enhance the lives of students. The experiences from these traditions forge lifetime connections to the University and create citizens who contribute their communities.
Dedicated to focusing on students and their development while supporting the University’s mission, we embrace the following core values:
- Student-centered Learning
- Respect and Civility
- Appreciation for Diversity
- Active Studentship
- Teamwork and Collaboration with University and Community Partners
- Free Expression of Thoughts and Ideas
- Personal Integrity and Truth
- Academic Success and Personal Development
- Responsible, Creative and Innovative Leadership
- Accessible programmes and services for all students
- Wellness and lifelong Learning
WHAT WE STRIVE TO DO
- Establish a student body that adheres to best practices and highest professional standards.
- Embrace a dynamic culture of planning, evolution and assessment to ensure progress toward the University and the Departmental goals.
- Partner with University community members to enhance and establish new programmes, services and traditions that empower and transform students’ lives.
- Partner with academic units to foster active learning through co-curricular experiences.
- Provide a student-centered environment and on that advocates for students’ needs.
- Provide students with opportunities for personal development and academic and professional success.
- Assist students in making a smooth transition and connection to University life culminating in active alumni affiliations.
- Create comprehensive leadership opportunities to serve emerging leaders
- Develop a climate that creates a sense of community and inclusiveness that embraces individual from various diverse backgrounds.
- Provide a campus experience that engages student in a vibrant campus life, engenders pride in being a student of Obafemi Awolowo University, forges lifetime connections to the University, and creates citizens who contribute to their communities.